75% Wage Subsidy Applications
On April 27, 2020, the 75% wage subsidy application process went live. We are happy to assist clients in this process. In order to calculate the amount of subsidy that you, as the employer, qualify for, you will need answer the following questions:
1. Have you already determined if you’re an eligible employer? (Do not proceed to further steps if you answered “no” to this questions. Let us know and we can help you determine)
2. Are you planning on re-hiring employees previously laid-off due to COVID-19?
3. Have you used 10% wage subsidy to reduce your payroll remittance? If yes, please, indicate the amount.
4. Have you applied for the work-sharing program? Have your employees already received any work-sharing program amounts?
5. How many eligible employees you have (names, SINs, full-time/part-time, current status of employment).
The subsidy amount should be calculated for each 4-weeks period separately. The government will reimburse the employer for what it has already paid in payroll. The first period is March 15th – April 11th, 2020. The second period is April 12th – May 9th, 2020.
Who are eligible employees
An eligible employee is an individual employed in Canada by you (the eligible employer) during the claim period,
except if there was a period of 14 or more consecutive days in that period where they did not receive any pay (eligible remuneration) from you.
Employee eligibility is based on whether the person is employed in Canada, not where they live.
Retroactively hiring and paying employees
Employees who have been laid off or furloughed can become eligible retroactively, as long as you rehire them and their retroactive pay and status meet the eligibility criteria for the claim period. You must rehire and pay such employees before you include them in your calculation for the subsidy.
Your HS & Partners Team