On April 6, 2020, the $2,000/month CERB has gone live and the application process has opened for taxpayers who’s birthdays are in January, February and March. Those whose birthdays are in April, May, June, can apply on Tuesday. July, August, September birthdays can apply on Wednesday. October, November, December birthdays can apply on Thursday. Friday and Saturday the system will be open to everyone.
This program is meant for taxpayers who do not otherwise qualify for EI. You can apply either online through the CRA website, if you are registered for “My Account”; or you can apply by phone: 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041. Taxpayers will need to go through this process each month that the program is available.
Who is eligible:
The benefit will be available to workers:
- Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits;
- Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
- Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.
Important Note: Applicants must certify that the provided information is true and acknowledge that making a false declaration is a criminal offence.
- Eligibility periods are fixed in 4-week periods.
- If your situation continues, you can re-apply for CERB for multiple 4-week periods, to a maximum of 16 weeks (4 periods).
For more details please click on the links below:
Your HS & Partners Team